Emerging Technology For Wood Processing
Highlights from 2004 Articles
By Chuck Ray
Date Posted: 1/3/2005
Phil Araman of the U.S. Forest Service and Virginia Tech has identified ‘next generation’ wood processing technologies that will enable companies to remain competitive. These technologies include:
• hardwood tree-length log bucking scanning systems
• internal log scanning
• sawmill edging and trimming optimization systems
• automated rough lumber grading
• curve sawing for hardwood logs
• automated pallet cant evaluation
• automated pallet part scanning and grading
• automated lumber to parts processing
Phil cited a study that estimated at least 20% of the potential value of all Southern Appalachian hardwood was lost through improper and inefficient processing. His presentation of these technologies demonstrated how this loss can be greatly reduced through proper technological development and investment.
Do you want reprints or a copyright license for this article? Click here
Research and connect with suppliers mentioned in this article using our FREE ZIP Online service.